At kalahari-meerkats.com, we’re committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
kalahari-meerkats.com is the website of the Kalahari Meerkat Project (KMP, operated by University of Zurich and University of Cambridge) and the Friends of the Kalahari Meerkat Project (FKMP) society. This Policy explains when and why we collect personal information about people who visit our website or register as research volunteers or send an enquiry, how we use it, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure.
Any questions regarding this Policy and our privacy practices should be sent by email to friends @ kalahari-meerkats.com.
Information we collect from you
When you register with our site, or contact us by email or by using a web form, we may collect personal information you are sharing about you including but not limited to: contact information, such as your name, email address, home or other physical address, organisation and any other information you choose to provide e.g. as part of your volunteer application or in a field site/filming visit enquiry or preparation questionnaire.
We are concerned to protect the privacy of children aged 16 or under. If you are aged 16 or under‚ please get your parent/guardian’s permission beforehand whenever you provide us with personal information.
Information we collect automatically
How we use the information we collect
- Provide volunteer applicants with information to the application process, and put them in contact with the hiring team;
- Provide people enquiring about a field site visit or filming visit with information about the visit and put them in contact with the project site team;
- Communicate with you and respond to your inquiries, requests or orders;
- Provide you with information you request from us and promotional materials regarding our projects;
- Improve the content on our site based on inputs and feedback of our users;
- Prevent fraudulent activity.
The Kalahari Meerkat Project (KMP) or Friends of the Kalahari Meerkat Project (FKMP) currently do not send newsletters or mass mailings for marketing purposes. Please visit our homepage or our facebook site for information about updates to our site.
How we store the information we collect
Once we receive your information, we make our best effort to ensure its security on our systems. Where we have given (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone. Furthermore, we use industry standard measures and precautions provided by our website hosting provider and the website software to protect and secure the personal data we store and process. Our site and the corresponding databases are hosted, operated and stored in Switzerland. A backup is stored in a Dropbox account.
User and personal data submitted by you or emails sent to us are kept for up to 10 years.
How we share the information collected
We may share personal information about you in the following situations.
- You send us personal information as part of a volunteer enquiry: We will share the information with the volunteer hiring team of the KMP.
- You send us personal information in a filming enquiry or a questionnaire related to a field site visit: We will share the information with the field site staff and the project management.
- You request a Sunday morning visit, staying at Van Zylsrus Hotel or Leeupan Farm: We will share the information you provide with the accommodation option you chose.
- You visit our facebook site either by clicking a link on our website or directly: We may see anything you decide to share with us on our facebook site or elsewhere on facebook, but will not store this information in our systems.
- If you explicitly request or authorise us to do so, or as otherwise required by law.
How you can access, change or delete the information
The accuracy of your information is important to us. We’re working on ways to make it easier for you to review and correct the information that we hold about you. In the meantime, if you wish to review, change or delete the information we hold about you, please email us at friends @ kalahari-meerkats.com.
Review of this Policy
We keep this Policy under regular review. This Policy was last updated in May 2018.